Welcome to a little piece of me.


I've set this page up so I can share a little bit of the exploring I do in my every day life. I spend a lot of time in games, and want to share what they do for me. Some people think that gaming completely removes people from the real world. I agree and disagree. Gaming is a tool, and like any tool, it becomes whatever the person wielding it desires--good, bad, means of escape, whatever. I use gaming as a tool for self-improvement. This blog discusses how that's done.
-Ben

Monday, March 28, 2011

Area Control / Mini-Map / Reloading

Ok, I've got a second video uploaded. Let's talk about it. :P

First of all, I did this one from a first-person point of view so the mini-map would be visible. I haven't found a way to switch between first and third-person POV quickly enough to put them both in a video, but I'm still learning a lot about how to do all of this.

Second, I tried to slow down the video during the parts I most wanted to talk about, and added pauses via Youtube's editor so it's a little easier to follow/process/see.

Here it is (probably wanna watch it before and after reading): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f7PQVkDur4

What I wanted to talk about most in this video is the importance of area control. Logically, it follows something like this:

There are buildings with windows --> It's harder to be hit if you're standing in a window as opposed to an open area --> Those windows are on different sides of the buildings and you can see a large area from them --> It's a good idea to be in a building.

Lots of pluses, not a lot of negatives.

Obviously, some buildings are going to be more important than others. A building on the edge of a map can only see, maybe, two or three directions, while a building in the middle is likely to have a 360 degree (or close) view of the surrounding area. It's the same idea behind knights in Chess. If you have them closer to the middle of the board, they will be able to attack more squares. This is me doing research on game play, using logic to determine improved strategy, and applying previously learned methods to a new system.

So, this video starts with me taking one of those key vantage points. My first rule about going into practically any building, is to be aware that a claymore (a small explosive device that will blow up if it detects movement) will likely be in the entryway. So, I use a flash grenade to temporarily disable it. Now, doing this does leave me open for a couple of seconds, standing vulnerable in a doorway, but the chance of being seen is (in my experience) usually less than the chance of being killed by a claymore. This is me analyzing marginal benefits and costs of my equipment set up and acting accordingly.

Keep in mind, there is a perk that lets you see claymores, so you can be sure of which doors do and which doors do not have a booby-trapped entrance, but I don't think it is as beneficial as some of the other perks that take up the same slot. In this video, I'm using Tactical Mask Pro, which keeps me from being affected by flash/stun/gas grenades. Also, when I hit someone with one of those grenades, it will show me which direction they are in, making it easier to track them down once they are blind/stunned/gassed. This comes into play in the video (during the first pause). It's hard to see, but when I use my flash grenade, a small indicator lets me know I've hit someone, and that they are in the hallway, not the small foyer-esque area. This allows me to move inside confidently and take out the two enemies that were currently occupying it. This is me planning ahead based on previous experiences and drawing on that knowledge to formulate new methods of operation.

After I'm sure the room is clear, I check my mini-map. I see a red dot in an area I can get to quickly and without completely giving up my recently acquired location (this happens during the second pause). I briefly pop outside long enough to take him out, then head back into my building to check for invaders.

At this point, I check my mini-map again and see that there is a large area of the map with none of my teammates around. I surmise that the enemy is likely spawning there. I know this area feeds right into the room I've just taken, so I make my way to that side to play some defense. This is me being aware, analyzing my teammates' movement to determine my enemy's position, and critically thinking to determine the best response.


I want to put a claymore down at the door, but I don't simply walk to the door and put it down. Checking the corner first lets you know you aren't going to be surprised by someone when you don't have a gun in your hands. So, I do (the third pause), and what do you know? There IS someone about to come around the corner! Surprise, surprise. The little gunfight that we have shows another strategy I've picked up. At close range, you don't want to aim down the sight (ADS). When you ADS, you limit your movement drastically, making you an easier target. So, I just fire from the hip while walking to my right. I can keep my cursor on him while making it much harder for him to do the same to me. At this close of range, the sustained mobility you get by hip-firing is enough to make up for the accuracy you lose.

So, after I take that guy down, I place the claymore in a spot that keeps it from being seen by anyone approaching the entrance but close enough that it will still detonate as they pass. I start back to patrol my area once again, and find an enemy has entered from the other side. Now, he may have made a mistake by not checking the whole building. His teammate I recently downed would have left a skull on the map that should have been a heads up. But, it's his mistake and I take advantage of it, easily finishing him off.

This brings us to the fourth pause, and what I wanted to show here was how I reloaded. As I'm reloading, I check to my right, and after I see there is no immediate danger there, I step back to the wall so I'm not visible from that side. Then I check to my left. Reloading is when you are the most vulnerable, so it's a good idea to get behind something as you're doing it.

Finishing up, I check one of the windows that overlooks a high-traffic area, and take a guy down that was trespassing on my turf. :P I have enough kills at this point to get a helicopter killstreak, and notice as I reload, I lay down to make myself less visible in case an enemy is nearby. After I lay down I can activate the helicopter, which also makes me vulnerable for a few seconds. Laying down can definitely be a life saver. Helicopter placement can also be a big deal. Since they can't shoot directly below their position, it's a good idea to put them over top of a building so they can see a lot of the surrounding area without wasting ammo on enemies that are protected by the building's roof. Yay for more critical thinking!

Okay, these posts are a lot more work than I thought they would be. When I'm playing I never really realize how much work I'm actually doing mentally, and going back through and unpacking all of it really works my brain out. All of this from a clip that's only thirty seconds long.

Okay, so. Please, please, please let me know what you think, what would be helpful to you guys in reading this, what would be helpful in posting the video, and what (if any) things you want to see specifically. The next video I'm planning on talking about is going to show a few things NOT to do. Thanks so much for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment